So here's a quick updated list of the biggest stars who are injured and will be missing the World Cup. This list would be incredibly longer if we decided to include players who are missing because of not being called up or their respective countries not qualifying (Zlatan anyone?).
I'll start in Latin America, since I haven't seen any other media outlet comment on them.
- Paraguay is missing their star striker Salvador Cabañas, playing in Mexico's America team and miraculously survived being shot in the head at a night club earlier this year. He still has the bullet lodged in his head.
- U.S.A.'s striker Jozy Altidore (Villareal / sprained right ankle).
- England will miss David Beckham (Milan / achilles heel injury), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United / knee ligament injury).
- Germany is missing Michael Ballack (Chelsea / ligament damage in right ankle), Rene Adler (Bayer Leverkusen), Heiko Westermann (Schalke 04) and Simon Rofles (Bayer Leverkusen).
- Portugal will miss Nani (Manchester United / shoulder injury), Jose Bosingwa (Chelsea / knee injury)
- Ivory Coast is still hoping to recover Didier Drogba (Chelsea / right arm fracture).
- Ghana will miss mid-fielder Michael Essien (Chelsea / knee ligament).
- Nigeria will miss Jon Obi Mikel (Chelsea / knee surgery)
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.